Skip to content
Liverpool Sailors' Home Gates29/3/2011
Liverpool City Council has been working hard with Gabriel Muies, a former merchant seamen, and other partners such to bring the gates from the former Liverpool Sailors' Home back to Liverpool, where they will be a memorial to all the merchant seamen who have passed through Liverpool.
The magnificent gates were designed by architect John Cunningham and foundry owner Henry Pooley Junior. They were made in Liverpool at Henry Pooley & Son's Albion Foundary for the Sailors' Home which stood in Canning Place. The lower sections were installed in the building in 1852 and the over-throw was installed shortly afterwards to prevent sailors climbing into the Home after curfew!
The gates were removed from the Sailors' Home in 1951, in advance of the repairs of bomb damage to the building caused during World War II. They were offered to W & T Avery (subsequently Avery Weigh-Tronix), dismantled and taken to their Soho Foundry in Smethwick, where they stood until 2010.
In August 2010, Liverpool City Council submitted an application for listed building consent to Sandwell MBC for their conservation and return to Liverpool. In February 2011, the City Council submitted a planning application for erecting the gates at the South end of Paradise Street, as close as possible to their original location. If all goes to plan, the gates will be proudly on display back in Liverpool in 2011.
The gates are part of the World Heritage Site's outstanding universal value as they are not only a remarkable example of Liverpool's cast iron craftsmanship in the 19th century but they also provide potent evidence of Liverpool's past role as a Sailor Town and how benevolent organisations were established to overcome some of the dangers of the itinerant life of merchant seamen.
For further information on the gates, see www.pooleygates.co.uk