Skip to content
Castle/Dale/Old Hall St Commercial Centre
The commercial centre equates roughly to the boundary of the medieval town of Liverpool. At its heart stands Exchange Flags, on which most commercial activity was focused during the period of prosperity and expansion.
The principal streets are Castle Street, Water Street, Old Hall Street, Dale Street and Victoria Street.
The first four are of ancient origin, though they were widened in the 18th and 19th centuries; the last dates only from the 1860's.
These streets contain the most important commercial premises. Subsidiary thoroughfares, often very narrow, are lined by warehouses, workshops and more functional building types.
The streetscape of the area is exceptional, the result of careful planning of the main streets over three centuries and organic growth in the Cavern Quarter, the spectacular riverside topography, and the grandeur of its architecture and monuments.