Skip to content

Main Content

Monument to Queen Victoria

Monument to Queen Victoria, Derby Square 
1902-06
Grade II

Built on the site of the old Liverpool castle and the 18th century St. George's Church, the monument to the Queen was intended to represent the spirit of patriotism of Liverpool's citizens, as well as the national self-confidence that Victoria's long reign had engendered. 

Designed by Professor F.M. Simpson of the Liverpool School of Architecture, with Willink and Thicknesse, the neo-Baroque monument of Portland stone provides a setting for sculptures by Charles Allen, including a colossal standing figure of the Queen, surrounded by allegorical groups recalling the achievements of her reign.