Skip to content

Main Content

The Memorial to the Merchant Navy

Memorial to the Missing of the Naval Auxiliary Personnel of the Second World War
1952 
Unlisted
 

Memorial to the Merchant Navy, Pier Head
The Memorial to the Merchant Navy (Memorial to the Missing of the Naval Auxiliary Personel of the 2nd World War) is in the form of a Portland Stone platform with a pair of enclosing curved walls, a column and a pair of globes. It is dedicated to the 1,390 Merchant Navy seamen who lost their lives in World War II. 

The design was a collaboration between architects Stanley Harold Smith and Charles Frederick Blythin and the sculptor George Herbert Tyson Smith. 

Other Memorials at the Pier Head include memorials to:- 

Norwegian Seamen            
(Plaque) 
All Those Lost At Sea        
(Stone 
Belgian Merchant Seamen  
Plaque 
Captain J. F. Walker, CB, DSO, RN    
Statue by Tom Murphy 1998 

All of the war memorials are recognised during the annual Armistice Service in November.