Skip to content
Memorial to Sir Alfred Lewis Jones
This memorial was designed by Sir George Frampton and is located at the south end of the Pier Head facing west towards the River Mersey. It takes the form of a tall and slender granite pedestal with two projecting base courses.
On top of the pedestal is a bronze allegorical female figure, representing Liverpool. In her left hand is a model of a ship upon a globe, whilst her right hand is slightly extended, "welcoming Commerce to the Port of Liverpool".
Two seated allegorical figures on the base course represent "The Fruits of Industry" and "Research", alluding to Sir Alfred Lewis Jones's connection with commerce and the School of Tropical Medicine.
Sir Alfred Lewis Jones (1845-1909) was a senior partner in Elder, Dempster and Co., one of Liverpool's most successful shipping companies.
He promoted the eating of bananas in Britain and the ships of the Elder Dempster Line became known as "the banana boats".
He was a great philanthropist and amongst other things, founded the world's first School of Tropical Medicine in Liverpool in 1898.
It was there that many important medical discoveries were made, including that malaria is transmitted by the bite of the anophiles mosquito, for which Sir Ronald Ross was awarded the Nobel Prize in 1902. The memorial was unveiled in 1913 to unanimous public acclaim.