Skip to content

Main Content

Monument of Edward VII

Circa 1911
Grade II

Monument of Edward VII, Pier Head
Strategically sited in the middle of the central axis between the Cunard Building and the river is the majestically dominant, 4.9 metres high, bronze equestrian statue of King Edward VII by Sir William Goscombe John. 

The statue was commissioned following the death in 1910 of the king and was originally intended to be located outside the south entrance to St. George's Hall. 

However, after much wrangling it was decided that it should be placed in its current location and almost 11 years after being commissioned, the sculpture was unveiled in 1921 in a ceremony lasting 10 minutes!