Skip to content
The River Wall at the Pier Head
Circa 1771 with later alterations
The river wall was first built to enclose the George's Dock (opened 1771, closed 1900). The wall had a chequered early career with several partial reconstructions, but has survived large loads, for which it was not designed, being imposed on it by a succession of floating landing stages built in 1847, 1876 and 1976. At low water it is possible to see the outlets at its foot which released water from George's Dock to sluice away silt and protect the stage from grounding.