Skip to content

Main Content

The Victoria Tower

1848
Grade II

This spectacular piece of showmanship is primarily a handsome clock and bell tower not only giving time to neighbouring docks and arriving and departing ships but also ringing out high tide and warning notes. 

However, it also originally incorporated a Pier Master's flat.

It is constructed of granite of irregular shaped blocks in the form of a hexagon with a high tapered circular base, and a tower crowned by a projecting castellated parapet carried on corbels. 

Local folklore is that it was built by French prisoners from the Napoleonic Wars, but as the wars had ended 29 years before the tower was designed, this seems unlikely.