…For miles you may walk along that river-side, passing dock after dock, like a chain of immense fortresses;-Prince’s, George’s, Salt-House, Clarence, Brunswick, Trafalgar, King’s, Queen’s, and many more.
Karel Capek, Letters from England, 1924
Area 3: The Stanley Dock Conservation Area
Stanley Dock sits at the heart of Liverpool’s docks – the largest and most complete system of historic docks anywhere in the world.
A system of interlinked wet docks represents the culmination of Jesse Hartley’s development of dock design. It is a dramatic component of Liverpool’s historic dockland, characterised by massive warehouses, walls and docks, but also by smaller structures such as bridges, bollards and capstans.
The area incorporates the massive dock boundary wall, the Leeds and Liverpool Canal and canal locks, the Victoria Clock Tower and the large water-filled Stanley, Collingwood, Bramley-Moore, Nelson and Salisbury docks.
The spectacular Stanley Dock Tobacco Warehouse is a grade II listed building. At the time of its construction in 1901, it was reported to be the world’s largest brick warehouse, made from 27 million bricks and standing 125 feet high. It is a city landmark by virtue of its massive scale.
Constructed from a limited palette of materials – brick, stone, iron and mortar – these innovative buildings and structures represent the pinnacle of industrial dock architecture of the Victorian period.
Rum and tobacco imported from exotic locations were stored in the great brick buildings.
The Stanley Dock complex includes:
- The Stanley Dock North Warehouse (1852-1854), Jesse Hartley, Grade II* listed
- The Stanley Dock Warehouse to south of Tobacco Warehouse (1853-1856), Jesse Hartley, Grade II listed
- Victoria Tower (1848), Jesse Hartley, Grade II listed
- The Stanley Dock Tobacco Warehouse (1900) Grade II listed, designed by A.G. Lyster.
Today, much of the Stanley Dock conservation area is owned privately.